Monday, November 26, 2012

Gluing on the soundboard and trimming.

So now the soundboard has been glued on the shell.  This proved to be a bit more difficult than I had expected, mainly because the soundboard is cut out a bit oversize and trimmed after gluing.  I guess I made my overhang a bit too much as the stress from the tapes holding it in place caused it to crack in two places.  I believe it is still structurally sound as the cracks are right near the edges and I applied enough glue to fill in and re-glue those cracks.  Overall I learned a lot from this step and am OK with how it is turning out.




 Here it is cut ready for the fingerboard and fingerboard points but not yet trimmed.




Here is a closeup with soundboard trimmed.  You can also just see one of the cracks at the lower left.





The whole soundboard with trim.  It is starting to look like a real instrument!  I'm not far from needing strings!

No comments:

Post a Comment